Appendix for Re: [Histonet] GRAM Stain Control Slides

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Apr 26 13:52:35 CDT 2006

Appendix works very well, but a veterinary laboratory situation, getting
appendix may be difficult.  For vet diagnostic work, we used a section of
bowel or try small intestine, do not rinse it excessively before fixation
in NBF.  Cow, dog, pig, sheep, any animal should work - I would go for the
species that is easiest to section.

There are several ways to make controls from pure cultures too and you can
have your microbiology people help with this.    I think Histonet archives
has some of these  methods, then you guarantee Gram pos and negative being
there, and do a large number of blocks at one time.

At 09:42 AM 4/26/2006, you wrote:
>Sara:
>   I used for years sections from cases of acute appendicities. They
> contain a host of both Gram + and - bacteria.
>   I hope this will help you!
>   René J.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)