[Histonet] Bone decalcification

gillian.2.brown <@t> GSK.COM gillian.2.brown <@t> GSK.COM
Mon Apr 24 07:08:19 CDT 2006

Heather,
do you not have any text books?

 As you have already seen the majority of answers are saying fixation is
of prime importance if you wish to observe the cellular components of the
bone using microscopy.  Reason you want to decalcify is presumably to be
able to cut nice thin paraffin wax sections?  No point in doing that if
you've already ruined the morphology by not fixing appropriately.  Don't
know how anyone could 'learn this the hard way'  do people really walk in
to labs and make it up as they go along?

Gill Brown

Heather.A.Harper <@t> pcola.med.navy.mil
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
24-Apr-2006 11:40

histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
cc

Subject
[Histonet] Bone decalcification

  I just wanted to know other histo techs opinions on bone
decalcification.
I learned in school that you decal the bone than you fix it. I have a
pathologist who claims she learned it the hard way, and that it is better
fix the bone than decal it. What did you learn on how to do this
procedure?
This pathologist claims that fixing prior to decaling keeps the cells more
intact. Any opinion on your procedure or your technique is appreciated.

Heather A. Harper

Naval Hospital

Pensacola, FL