[Histonet] Colocalization of different fluorophores

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Apr 21 13:58:35 CDT 2006

I presented this question to Molecular Probes Technical services:

What kind of co-localization color do we expect to see with antibody
staining using Alexa 350 and FITC or Alexa 488, or Alexa 350 and rhodamine
(either TRITC or RRX) or Alexa 555?

We know that colocalization of FITC or Alexa 488 with Alexa 555 or
Rhodamine is yellow -

Their answer was inconclusive:

"Thank you for contacting Molecular Probes Technical Assistance. We have
not determine the color of the fluorescence from multiple dyes
co-localizing. I would guess that the Alexa Fluor 350 and Alexa Fluor 488
would give a teal color and the Alexa Fluor 350 and Rhodamine would give a
purplish color. "

If anyone has done this, I would appreciate the "non-guess" response.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology