[Histonet] toluidine blue staining problem

John A. Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Fri Apr 21 13:16:54 CDT 2006

You are using a touidine blue recipe for staining
semi-thin plastic-embedded sections, with which
the idea is to stain everything - hence the
alkaline solution of a cationic dye. To use
toluidine blue as a counterstain, you want it to
stain cell nuclei and not much else, and not very
strongly - especially if your silver grains are
over nuclei.

So use the dye at pH 3.5 to 4.0, and rinse in
water adjusted to the same pH. If the staining is
just right, dehydrate in 3 X 100% alcohol. If
staining is too strong, remove some dye with
50-70-% alcohol. Next time, stain at a lower pH.

When I did autoradiography I preferred a red
nuclear stain to a blue one. Brazalum was very
good; you make it up like Mayer's haemalum, but
with brazilin instead of haematoxylin.
--
John A. Kiernan