[Histonet] beginner question about methacrylate resins and nucleic acid ISH

Sheri L Simmons sheris <@t> MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 17 15:39:04 CDT 2006

Hi,
I'm a newcomer to the list and the world of histochemistry in general. I'm
hoping that someone can help me with a few questions relating to
targeting bacterial RNA in embedded thick sections (very thick- about
a mm) with fluorescent methods.
The goal is to detect species-specific oligonucleotide probes to
the bacterial 16s rRNA with indirect CARD-FISH. Searching the list
archives, it seems that although glycol methacrylate (GMA) and methyl
methacrylate (MMA) resins are both used for
histochemistry, MMA is generally preferred because it can be removed from
sections with acetone. Is this your experience? Do you know of any direct
comparisons of GMA and MMA for nucleic acid detection with in situ
hybridization? Are there any special concerns in terms of
the resin type or protocol relating to the use of nucleic acid probes rather than antibodies?
Finally, which of the many MMA kits out there would you recommend? I've
seen references to Technovit 9100, but this is significantly more
expensive than a generic Methyl Methacrylate/Butyl Methacrylate kit from
Electron Microscopy Sciences. Is there a reason to prefer one over the
other?

Thanks,
Sheri