[Histonet] IHC question

Bauer, Karen Bauer.Karen <@t> mayo.edu
Fri Apr 7 15:01:24 CDT 2006

Thanks for the reply Becky.  We do not use any HIER on our CD3, CD20 or LCA antibodies.  I didn't fool around with the LCA protocol, since the CD3 and CD20 worked just fine on the tissue.  I'll have to do some "testing" with that.

Thanks again,

Karen

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Orr, Rebecca
Sent: Fri 4/7/2006 1:19 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] IHC question

Hi Karen,
My experienced guess would be 2 things.

I am suggesting this based on my experiences in the field
troubleshooting just this type of issue, so I'm not really an expert.

But,  I would consider these things:
1) The CD 3 and CD 20 epitope sites may not need as much formalin
fixation to stain appropriately. There may be some "wiggle room"  in the
titer of these antibodies.  What is your pretreatment for all 3?  Are
they all the same?  In my lab I run concentrates and my CD3 works best
with Tris HIER and the CD 20 works best with citrate HIER.  Back in the
day, LCA didn't even NEED HEIR!
Or:
2)You may have simply over done the HIER and caused a prozone effect.

Because the LCA control worked that shows me that the Antibody itself is
working appropriately. These immunogens are developed separately so even
though LCA will stain the same sites as CD3 and CD20, they aren't "the
same".
This may not be a fact but comes more from my experience.

I'm sure you could make the LCA work if you compensated for the variable
that changed, in this case the formalin/processing time.
Either lighten up on the hier or if you can, extend the incubation time.
Or Change the concentration.

Sometimes errors are made and you have make a change to the standardized
protocol to compensate.

Hope this helps

Becky Orr CLA,HT(ASCP)
Assistant Manager, Anatomic Pathology