[Histonet] Homemade humidity chamber

Pixley, Sarah (pixleysk) PIXLEYSK <@t> UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Tue Apr 4 11:06:31 CDT 2006

Dear Louise:

We make our own. We use a Tupperware container. Then we purchase plastic
ceiling "tiles" from the hardware store. The ones we get look like a
white plastic grid, with the holes approximately 1 cm by 1 cm. Comes in
sheets about 4 feet by 3 feet wide, for very low cost. Use pliers to cut
into pieces that fit into the container. We put down two pieces of this
in the Tupperware container, and then you can fill with water up to
about a cm deep. On top of the tile pieces, we put a metal slide tray
(holds 20 slides, came in a set with a wooden box and many trays). If I
want to do more than 20, I put down one tray, set single pieces of the
ceiling tile on the corners and set a second tray on top. With two tiles
in there, you can put up to a cm of water in, ensuring humidity.

Sarah Pixley
Univ. Cincinnati, Ohio