FW: [Histonet] "empty" cryosections!

Jasper, Thomas G. TJasper <@t> smdc.org
Thu Sep 29 11:03:54 CDT 2005

Thomas Jasper HT(ASCP)BAS
Anatomic Pathology Coordinator
SMDC Clinical Laboratory
Duluth, MN
tjasper <@t> smdc.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Jasper, Thomas G.
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:03 AM
To: 'Favara, Cynthia (NIH/NIAID)'; ',histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: RE: [Histonet] "empty" cryosections!

Dear Joanne,

One possible obstacle to optimal frozen tissue sectioning may be the
fixation step prior to freezing.  I have not used paraformaldehyde to fix
and then freeze tissue for cryosectioning.  However, I have been asked to
cut frozen sections on tissue that has been formalin fixed.  The degree of
difficulty seems to increase the longer the tissue has been in a fixative.
In other words, if we get it out of formalin quickly (within minutes) we'll
probably get a decent section.  If half the day has gone by we probably
wouldn't try.  Once a section is obtained the main problem is usually one of
adherence.
This experience is in a clinical setting, with human tissue, which leads me
to my next point.
Generally speaking, animal tissue is much drier, and therefore more
difficult to section period.  Also, if you are getting empty sections (no
tissue) you may be having a problem with your supporting media (OCT, etc.).
If the media is not adhering well to the tissue, it would lend itself to
creating these holes.  Fatty tissue is difficult to freeze as well, although
I note that you have tried sectioning at different temperatures.  I believe
I have seen postings from others to drop the temperatures very low to help
freeze the fatty tissues.  I know there are others monitoring the Histonet
with more knowledge about frozen sectioning.  I just thought I'd share some
of my experiences, hopefully it will be of some help.  Good luck to you!
tj