[Histonet] Pink precipitate is monoformazan from BCIP/NBT reaction onISH?

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Mon Sep 26 23:41:56 CDT 2005

Dear Ralph,

Your email is full of abbreviations and jargon.
Am I right in thinking it's a question about
localizing alkaline phosphatase activity by an
indoxyl-tetrazolium method? If so, please provide
a reference to the original publication and let us
all know if you followed it exactly or made any
changes. Part of your email suggests that the
alkaline phosphatase activity is not endogenous
but part of an amplification system used in
in situ hybridization. The pH optima of endogenous
and label alkaline phosphatases differ.

The later paragraphs of your message indicate that
you may not fully understand the significance of
the mono- and diformazan products of reduction of
nitro-BT. Both colours result from reduction of
the tetrazolium salt, but you need controls to
prove that the reduction was by bromochloroindoxyl
and not by other reducing agents (such as diaphorases)
in the tissue. Non-enzymatic reduction of tetrazolium
salts by -SH has been a well known artifact {"nothing
dehydrogenase") for 40-45 years.

John A. Kiernan
Anatomy Dept, UWO
London, Canada.