[Histonet] cryostat decontamination

Traczyk7 <@t> aol.com Traczyk7 <@t> aol.com
Mon Sep 26 09:59:43 CDT 2005

Greetings,
I recently attended Gloria Limetti's seminar at NSH about cryostat and
microtome features.  She is from the University of Pitssburgh.   Attendees were
given an extensive spreadsheet listing which features were  available on which
models.  In an effort not to come across as  non vendor specific, Gloria
assigned all the companies letters.  Just  looking over the features, it's fairly
easy to decipher which company is  which.  I don't have my copy in front of me
now but I believe there are 7  models with various types of decontamination
systems offered.
Hacker Instruments SL5000 is one of the units that is available with an
automatic decontamination feature, perhaps Gloria will post the names of the
other companies.
As for UV decontamination, it is my understanding the the UV light is only
effective on the surfaces of the cryostat and microtome chamber where the light
 actually comes into contact.  Nooks and cranies would still need to be
wiped down manually.  As with Vinnie, I would be interested in reading  a study or
two on it's effectiveness in histology applications.
Regards,

Dorothy Murphy Traczyk
National  Sales Manager
Hacker Instruments & Industries Inc.