[Histonet] cryostat decontamination

Vinnie Della Speranza dellav <@t> musc.edu
Fri Sep 23 16:39:29 CDT 2005

the implication here is that interior surfaces of the cryostat may be wiped down with 70% ethanol while the unit is cold, in between cases/uses or once daily, however you deem appropriate.

full contamination with a tuberculocidal is to be done on a schedule you deem appropriate, which would require taking the unit out of service and returned to room temperature for the disinfecting procedure.

others on the list will be more familiar than I with the disinfecting units offered by some manufacturers. I believe one uses UV light although I'd wanted to see some reports in the literature verifying the efficacy of UV at cryostat temperatures which I would assume the manufacturer could provide

..

Vinnie Della Speranza
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
Medical University of South Carolina
165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309
Charleston, SC 29425
Ph: 843-792-6353
fax: 843-792-8974

>>> "Satterfield, Marirose" <Marirose.Satterfield <@t> MercyMemorial.org> 09/21/05 09:54AM >>>
CAP Checklist Question ANP.24250
Is there a documented procedure for the routine decontamination of the
cryostat at defined intervals, and are decontaminated records evident?

They note that the interior of the cryostat can be decontaminated with 70%
ethanol. Later on they say it should be defrosted and decontaminated with a
tuberculocidal disinfectant at an interval appropriate for the institution.
Are they suggesting that after each use it get decontaminated with the 70%
ethanol and only periodically shut down unit and use the TB disinfectant?
Thanks
M Satterfield