[Histonet] sectioning problems

Tyler W. tyler-wellington <@t> northwestern.edu
Fri Sep 23 00:20:46 CDT 2005

I recently have been having problems pulling ribbons from my microtome and was
wondering if anyone has advice.

1.) I was having problems pulling ribbons from newly embeded blocks, but ones that had
been embeded previously were very easy to pull ribbons from.  The new ones would simply
curl on the blade and wouldn't even grab on to the adjascent sections.

2.) I changed the paraffin in the embedding station because I noticed all the temeratures
were set to 64 C when the melting point for the Surgipath paraffin formula 'R' was 56-67C.
Could this have been a problem?

3.) I switched to an old lot of Fisher embeding medium and now all the section come off, but
on occasion when the chuck on the mictomome comes back up it seems to (via static
electricity?) pull the ribbon from the microtome blade and interupt the ribbon.

4.) Also, visually the Fisher paraffin blocks look almost transparent whereas the Surgipath
blocks seem opaque and white.

I'm relatively new to the histology game and I realize that there is both art and science
involved, but this is clearly unacceptable behavior from the paraffin, something is surely
wrong.  I'm sure you are all experienced and maybe you have advice?  If you do I would
apreciate it so much.  The first and best advice get their choice of FTD flowers and/ or
homemade brownies.

Thank you--Tyler Wellington