[Histonet] re: Fluorescent Illumination Systems

Carl Hobbs carl.hobbs <@t> kcl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 03:03:57 CDT 2005

I recently upgraded my three Axioskops/verts from 50W mercury to EXfo's
XCite 100W lamps. I have no regrets and highly recommend them: we use DAPI,
Hoechst, Alexas 488 and 594 routinely. To me,  the 100W mercury vapour lamps
still have the"edge" over the Xcite lamps( I have one as well) in
brightness, tho. But, given the ease of use, the longevity of the lamps and
the evenness of the illumination field I would recommend the Xcite lamps.
NB: they create fan-  noise, tho! Particularly the older ones; their new
models are much quieter Test one out, anyway.