[Histonet] Bielschowsky Staining

John A. Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Tue Sep 20 11:05:50 CDT 2005

Silver methods (if they are working properly)
stain the axons, not the myelin sheaths.
Unmyelinated and myelinated axons are shown. The
mechanism has not been thoroughly studied for
Bielschowsky-type methods, but in technically
simpler procedures such as Bodian's protargol
it is known that the substrate of staining is
a neurofilament protein within the axoplasm
(Gambetti et al. 1981 Science 213:1521-1522).
--
John A. Kiernan