[Histonet] HT student

Horn, Hazel V HornHV <@t> archildrens.org
Mon Sep 19 08:35:49 CDT 2005

Just my thoughts but you should have required that of her before she
started attending school with you footing part of the bill.   I think it
would be inappropriate to ask/demand it  now.

Hazel Horn, HT/HTL (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Arkansas Children's Hospital
800 Marshall      Mail Slot 820
Little Rock, AR   72202

phone- 501.364.4240
fax- 501.364.3912

visit us on the web at:   www.archildrens.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Lee &
Peggy Wenk
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2005 5:38 PM
To: pruegg <@t> ihctech.net; histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] HT student

At our hospital lab, anyone we hire who is registry eligible has 1 1/2
years in which to take and pass their exam (HT/HTL/CT/QIHC, etc). It is
stated/written when they are hired. If they do not take AND pass within
that time period, they are let go. We made it for 1.5 years, as that
gives them several attempts, in case they do fail. Everyone has taken
and passed. Plus, they know that once they pass the exam, they get
bumped up to the next pay level. Double incentive to take the exam early
and pass it.

As for the commitment, I know of some labs that have offered my students
to pay sign-on bonuses, moving expenses, sometimes even out-right loans,
with the understanding (in writing, of course) that these are "free
loans", if the person comes to work for them for 1-2 (or 3) years. If
the student leaves before the 1-2-3 years, they must repay the loans -
either the entire amount, or the percentage left (in other words, if
they agreed to work for 2 years (24 months), and they leave after 14
months, they had 10 months that they did not fulfill the agreement, so
have to pay back 10/24 of the "loan".

Just some thoughts.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital