[Histonet] Giemsa bits....

Lott, Robert Robert.Lott <@t> bhsala.com
Wed Sep 14 14:38:59 CDT 2005

The problem you are experiencing is a common one with commercial Giemsa
solutions.  Upon heating them a precipitate forms in the working
solution(s).

The solution to this problem was taught to me by one of the masters of
our craft... Charles Churukian, Supervisor of the Special Stains
Laboratory, University of Rochester Medical Center.  His recommendation
is to add about 0.5 - 1.0 ml of 10% Triton X-100 (a common laboratory
detergent) to the working solution(s) "before" heating them.  The
addition of the detergent results in "more distinct staining" of the
various cell types as well as acting as a stabilizer when heating the
Giemsa solution(s).  This apparent heating phenomenon does not occur if
the solutions are used at room temperature.

Try it and see how it works!!!

Robert L. Lott, HTL(ASCP)

Manager, Anatomic Pathology

Baptist Health System