[Histonet] Automated microtomes

Gomez, Milton MGomez <@t> ameripath.com
Mon Sep 12 20:18:26 CDT 2005

Dear Histonetters,

What are your thoughts on injuries related to the use of automated microtomes?  I have heard that the use of automated microtomes increases the risk of injury and in most cases these are more severe.  May you share your experience?  I do know of one case where the tech lost part of his finger (luckily he was able to have it re-attached and the finger was saved).  How many labs out there have used automated microtomes and have reverted back to manual microtomes for safety reasons?  Does safety take priority over ergonomic reasons?

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Milton