[Histonet] Animal Information for the Hurricane Area

Pamela Marcum pmarcum <@t> vet.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 1 10:43:03 CDT 2005

Good Morning To All,

I am forwarding the text of a message we received this morning at the Vet
School.  We are all being made aware of where to send money (preferably) to
assist the human misery in the area Katrina had destroyed, especially in
New Orleans.  However, many animals were left behind and are in trouble
also.  This was the first message I had seen informing those who wish to
help the animals or know what is being done for them. I hope this does not
offend anyone and the I realize the human suffering is so great that this
can seem trivial to some.

>Dear Faculty & Staff:
>
>As you know, Hurricane Katrina, which struck the Gulf Coast and the city of
>New Orleans, LA, this week, has tragically claimed lives and left thousands
>more homeless. As rescue workers continue to aid those in need, many of you
>have expressed concern regarding the various animals that were stranded as
>a result of this disaster. Please be assured that there are several
>organizations working to rescue and treat as many animals as possible.
>
>The AVMA Veterinary Medical Assistance Team and the Houston SPCA are
>working together to set up a displaced animal shelter on the Baton Rouge
>campus of Louisiana State University and at another site a few miles from
>Baton Rouge. If you would like to contribute to this effort, please send a
>check to The Walter J. Ernst Veterinary Memorial Foundation and write
>Disaster Relief Fund on the memo line.  Donations should be sent to the
>LVMA, 8550 United Plaza Blvd, Suite 1001, Baton Rouge LA 70809. In
>addition, the PVMA Foundation is likely to set up a fund for this effort.
>
>Other organizations accepting donations for animal rescue and welfare are:
>     * Noah's Wish (<http://www.noahswish.org/>www.noahswish.org)
>     * ASPCA (<http://www.aspca.org/>www.aspca.org)
>     * AVMA (<http://www.avma.org/>www.avma.org)
>     * Best Friends Animal Society
>(<http://www.bestfriends.org/>www.bestfriends.org)
>     * The Humane Society of the United States
>(<http://www.hsus.org/>www.hsus.org)
>
>Thank you for your support of these important efforts.

Best Regards,

Pamela A Marcum
Manager, Histology Special Procedures
University of Pennsylvania