[Histonet] Salivary gland tissue fetal pig problems

MVaughan4 <@t> ucok.edu MVaughan4 <@t> ucok.edu
Sun Oct 30 12:53:38 CST 2005

Hello again,
I want to get salivary gland tissue (parotid, submandibular, sublingual)
for the students. I thought I would try using the glands from the fetal
pigs (sent from Carolina Bio) we use for student dissection. I post-fixed
them briefly (~30 minutes) in 10%NBF, followed by
dehydration/infiltration. After sectioning, the connective tissue is
mostly degenerated and the gland tissue doesn't look that good either. The
good archival gland tissue we have is yellowish-colored, maybe it is fixed
in something different than NBF. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Mel
Melville B. Vaughan, Ph. D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Biology