[Histonet] Decloaker

Orr, Rebecca ROrr <@t> enh.org
Fri Oct 28 13:53:04 CDT 2005

Wen,
I have used the Biocare Decloaker for several years.
In my experience, I would agree 20 minutes is really too long, at such a
high temperature.
You will most likely get staining, but you will most definitely loose
tissue as well as morphology.

I know of labs like Jan Shivers' at U of MN that use the decloaker to
test prions and that has an extended time at the 120'-125'C. So there
are applications where this may be beneficial to you...

But clinically speaking, if you have to work that hard, something's
wrong somewhere else! I understand research and non hospital settings
have different needs and unique antibodies...but if I would have to use,
in my opinion, such extreme parameters, I would try a different ph
solution, or look at the enzymes to digest or even a stronger dilution.
Then there's always fixation issues...

>From what I get from your email is that you asked for directions to
extend the time at the high temperature.  I'm sure Biocare Tech support
instructed you how to make the change with  the recommendation that you
shouldn't really need that, for HEIR.  You've gotten a bunch of our
opinions, as to why you shouldn't need that high a temp, but regardless,
it's your lab and your test and your responsibility...so have at it! And
let us know your results!

As to how to set the program, I see others have shared.

Good luck, I'd be very interested to hear of your results.

Becky Orr CLA,HT(ASCP)
IHC Lead
Evanston Northwestern Healthcare
847-570-2771

> Hello,
>
> Does anybody use Decloaking Chamber from Biocare Medical? How should I
set the
> SP1 temperature and time if I need 20 minutes treatment? The factory
setting
> is 125 degree 30 seconds and the tech support said 20 minutes is too
long. She
> suggested me to keep 30 seconds. I still want the suggestion from
here. How do
> you set your program?
>
> Thanks!
> Wen
>

> ---------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:30:02 -0600
> From: Gayle Callis <gcallis <@t> montana.edu>
> Subject: [Histonet] Help!! We have a problem with a Mounting Media
> To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>
> Is anyone experiencing this problem with Protocol Mounting Medium T,
> toluene solvent based from Fisher.
>
> They take 50 mls and put it into a bottle with a secure, air tight,
solvent
> resistant lid in order to not dip into stock bottle all the time.
> If they use the mounting media absolutely fresh after aliquoting, the
> mounting media drys nicely, everything is fine.  They are
coverslipping

<C28BAF593DC3314E9C0F3A50191C2E78016CB830 <@t> EXCHKC03.stowers-institute.org

> [...]
>
> Teri Johnson
> Managing Director Histology Facility
> Stowers Institute for Medical Research
> 1000 E. 50th St.
> Kansas City, MO 64133
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:36:27 -0400
> From: "John A. Kiernan" <jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca>
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] Cholesterol staining suggestions
> To: Gayle Callis <gcallis <@t> montana.edu>
> Cc: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>
> The only specific method for cholesterol that
> doesn't involve a nasty acid is the cholesterol
> oxidase-DAB method (Emeis et al 1977 Histochem. J.
> 9:197-204). It can also detect cholesterol esters
> if the sections are first treated with cholesterol
> esterase. It's rather more than a "stain" but should
> be OK for research. It can also be used at the EM
> level (eg Pelletier & Vitale 1994 J Histochem Cytochem
> 42:1539-1554.)
>
> Regarding the traditional stains for cholesterol:
> According to Adams, Pearse and Bayliss High, the
> perchloric acid-naphthoquinone method is the most
> specific and sensitive one for cholesterol and its
> esters. I've tried it once or twice; it works but
> it's rather rough on the sections. The blue colour
> fades after a few hours. An older, simpler method
> is that of Schultz (here summarized from Bayliss High's
> 1984 "Lipid Histochemistry" p.40-41). I've not tried
> it myself.
>
> Frozen sections, after formal-calcium fixation,
> air-dried onto slides.
> 1. Oxidize sections in 2.5% iron alum in 0.2M acetate
>    buffer, pH 3 for 4 hours at 37C.
> 2. Wash, 3 X 20 min in the acetate buffer.
> 3. Rinse in distilled water.
> 4. Treat with 5% formalin in tap water
>    (ie 2% formaldehyde), 10 min.
> 5. Drain and allow to dry.
> 6. Apply a drop or two of Schulz reagent (see below),
>    and then a coverslip. Examine with microscope.
> Result. Cholesterol blue-green, fading quickly.
> Schulz reagent: Add 1ml glacial acetic acid dropwise to
> 1 ml conc. sulphuric acid, with agitation. It becomes hot
> and syrupy; let it cool.
>
> Cholesterol and its esters are birefringent with crossed
> polars. This property was discovered by B. Doinikow (1913)
> Deutsche Z. Nervenheilk. 46:20-42) and it has been exploited
> to trace degenerating myelinated axons in frozen sections of
> human brain (Miklossy & Van der Loos 1987 Brain Res.
> 426:377-380).
> I tried to reproduce their results in the 1990s but the
> sections contained great quantities of birefringent dirt
> (completely invisible with ordinary illumination). The dirt
> didn't consist of tiny needle-like crystals like the ones
> described by Doinikow and shown in the colour photos in
> Miklossy's paper. My material had been stored for a long
> time
> in formalin before cutting, so perhaps lipids everywhere
> had changed into some sort of birefringent junk.

End of Histonet Digest, Vol 23, Issue 33