[Histonet] alcian blue and alizarin red

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 15:32:36 CDT 2005

Alizarin red was the standard procedure I used for calcium (carbonate / phosphates) pretty much as descibed by Sheehan & Hrapchak [(1973):153-4] The solution has to have pH adjusted to 4.1-4.3 and final dehydrating has to be done with acetone (as ethanol will remove the stain).
Alcian blue is standard for mucosubstances [Luna,1968:163] but I never used both combined.
Both procedures on sections of paraffin embedded tisusues.
Rene J

"Walters, Katherine S" <katherine-walters <@t> uiowa.edu> wrote:
Has anyone done alcian blue/alizarin red staining on tissue sections?
The protocols I've turned up seem to be for cleared tissue.

Thanks,
Kathy