[Histonet] Surprise CAP inspections

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 15:20:13 CDT 2005

In Florida we used to have "surprise" inspections by the State. We were caught "off guard" once and it was not very nice, but not that bad either.
At that point I decided to develop a routine that allowed me to "self inspect" weekly, one area at a time. That is what Supervisors are for. I tried to keep things in order. It turned out that after that "surprise visit" the State inspections stopped altogether and we were left with the CAP only that always were announced visits.
In short: develop a self inspection routine that will allow you to "feel safe"; besides running the lab correctly is also the goal.
Nevermind if they don't have lunch, or parking space; that is the price they will have to pay for having an unannounced inspection.
Rene J.

MTitford <@t> aol.com wrote:
Reviewing my Histonet mail for the last few days I came across Susan's email
asking for advice about CAP inspections. I don't know if anyone mentioned
that some time in the future they are about to become surprise inspections. That
may be quite a trip. Every laboratory I have worked in traditionally cleaned
up the lab when the CAP was coming, reviewed all the manuals, checked the
fridge for outdated chemicals, etc. We also set aside a conference room for
the inspectors to camp out in, arranged lunch and made appointments for them
with the chief of medical staff, hospital administrator, etc.
Now we all know that our labs should be tidy all the time, everything in
date in the fridge, and we should work like the CAP was coming every day, but
there may be some surprises for the CAP inspectors in the future. Key people may
be off (Chief pathologist/Hospital administrator/histology supervisor).
there may be no lunch for them, no where for them to park etc. In fact they may
find no one is ready for them. The state inspectors for medical laboratories
in Alabama used to arrive unannounced and it was a trip. Maybe like the
Titanic!
Any ideas anyone?!

Mike Titford
USA Pathology