[Histonet] MOUSE BRAIN FIXATION

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Sat Oct 15 23:21:47 CDT 2005

I like your comments, Charles. I too read the paper by
Eichenbaum et al in BioTechniques 39(4): 487-500 (2005)
and was surprised that a slow 1 ml intracardiac injection
of Somogyi & Takagi's (1982) buffered
picrate-formaldehyde-glutaraldehyde
cocktail would fix a mouse's brain well enough for EM.

Eichenbaum et al describe the technique in great detail, and
emphasize that deviations and errors will result in failure.

Anecdotally: perfused glutaraldehyde-containing fixatives
don't clog blood vessels in the way that formaldehyde-only
solutions sometimes do. Several hands-on academic researchers
that I knew in bygone days made this assertion. I've never
had trouble perfusing any water-based fixative except for
bad placement of the needle or cannula, and that happens
more often with mice than rats, because of the smaller size.

Unduly high perfusion pressure can certainly cause artifacts.
I've seen (by EM) huge pericapillary spaces in brain tissue
following perfusion done with a syringe. The thumb pressure
waa unknown but probably was far to high. Perfusion from a
bottle 1 metre above the bench does not induce this artifact.
A metre of water is a crude approximation to the pressure
in a large artery of a living rodent.

Eichenbaum et al injected their fixative through a 27-gauge
needle. That's much thinner than the ones used for
conventional perfusion, when the emphasis is on getting a
substantial flow rate. The thin needle and the long, narrow
recommended syringe would make it easier to do the injection
slowly. Glutaraldehyde reacts rapidly with proteins, and
probably gets rid of the blood-brain barrier in seconds.

Geoff McAuliffe is amazed at the small volume of the
injected fixative. One ml has to be 20 to 30 percent
of the blood volume of a 30 gm mouse.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada