[Histonet] Immunoflouresence Questions

Houston, Ronnie Ronnie_Houston <@t> bshsi.com
Fri Oct 14 09:53:43 CDT 2005

For those unfamiliar with Mowiol, it is a Polyvinyl Alcohol and can be
obtained from Calbiochem.

As Tim said, DABCO can be added as an antifading agent (25mg/ml), as can
para-phenylene diamine (10mg/ml) and n-propyl gallate (2% w/v); in fact all
three agents can be combined in one solution. All these substances are
harmful by ingestion, inhalation and skin-absorption.

In my opinion, the Alexa dyes from Molecular Probes are much more resistant
to photo bleaching than any others on the market, and if memory serves me
correctly Molecular Probes do have a commercial mounting medium that
contains a reagent (proprietary) to prevent fading.

Ronnie

Ronnie Houston
Director of Anatomic Pathology
Bon Secours HealthPartners Laboratories