[Histonet] Air Bubbles in Manual Coverslipping

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 12:22:58 CDT 2005

You should start with the fluidity of the "glue" (I always prefer to call it "mounting medium").
It should be fluid enough to spread over the section. You should apply a very small drop over the section with either a plastic dropper or a wood applicator.
The coverslip should be over a paper towel and you should get the slide/section with the mounting medium drop on it in contact with the coverslip and press it gently.
You should wrap your finger with a cotton fiber disposable gauze to immediately clean the excess mounting medium.
If the mounting medium is liquid enough you will prevent the bubbles, and even if the amount is in excess you can clean it around the coverslip eliminating the "overflow".
Rest the coverslipped slide flat to dry out.
Dammar resin or any other commercial mounting medium will do. Regardless if the diluent is toluene or xylene, you can always adjust the fluidity with xylene (which is totally miscible with toluene).
Practice is essential ("like getting to Carnegie Hall!").
Hope this will help.
Rene J.

Travis Troyer <ttroyer <@t> petersonlab.com> wrote:
We have recently come under the "gun" for excess bubbles and glue on the slides after coverslipping. We currently do all of coverslipping manually and was wondering if anyone had any helpful hints to keep the bubbles out and and excess glue off the slide.
Thanks for the assistance,
Travis Troyer
Peterson Laboratory Services