[Histonet] 37% formalin or penfix and false negative ER/PR stains

john eckman eckjm <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 22:38:36 CDT 2005

Can anyone comment on what effect using 37% formalin to fix breast tissue has on ER/PR immuno stains?  Same question regarding alcoholic formalin use.

We work with pathology residents and have never ending problems with under fixed breast tissue.  Some have suggested using 37% formalin or an alcoholic formalin.  We're concerned about these fixatives altering immuno stains, although some in our department have used 37% formalin elsewhere without stain issues.

Our breast sections usually fix in 10% buffered formalin for 6 to 24 hours before processing and we still get underprocessed/underfixed blocks in histology. These blocks are then sent through the tissue processor again (new Themo processor).  Could the re-processing alter our ER/PR stains as well?

Appreciate any comments.

John