[Histonet] microwave antigen retrieval

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 15:41:25 CDT 2005

And that is exactly my point about the steamer and the microwave. To accelerate the process you can heat up the HIER solution in the microwave oven and transfer it to the steamer once it reaches the boliling point (100 Celsius). The steamer will give to an oustanding consistency and the microwave oven will speed the start of the HIER step (and consequently the whole process). In order to use the microwave oven to its fullest you should calibrate it first. And forget about the "hot spots": you can determine the hot spot in a MWO with a bulb array, but once you introduce a water load in it, the hot spot distribution will change completely (this according with Kok and Boon: "Microwaves  for the art of microscopy", and with some experiment I have done).
Rene J.

Andrea Hooper <anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu> wrote:
I use a $15 veggie steamer that my DAKO rep gave me years ago (although I have replaced it since then with a
similar model). It works AMAZINGLY using the DAKO Target Retrieval Solution with nearly no background and
GREAT signal. The only drawback is time for heating up and the 20 minute retrieval and 20 minute cool down for a
total of 1-1.5 hours retrieving.

I am not a big fan of microwave techniques for retrieval as I have found my background to be worse and my signal
to be less clear and sometimes inconsistent.

But I agree with the other poster that consistency is the key to success no matter how it's achieved (likely through
consistent use of positive and negative controls within each experiment).