[Histonet] CAP question

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 10:03:14 CDT 2005

I never fought this battle because it is outside the "realm of the histology supervisor/manager", it is entirely within the "realm of the head pathologist"; reporting and their contents is their responsibility. I always allowed them to fight this battle, and the outcome was theirs. CAP inspectors are pathologists, let them work this out amongst themselves. I did that and never got any problem. I shouwed them the regulations I could not take care of and they would take care of them. Pathologists know how to talk amongst themselves!
Rene J.

"Dawson, Glen" <GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com> wrote:
Sue,

I've assembled a list of my primary antibodies with their corresponding
clones as well as other names that might be used for each.

I have about 1 billion clients so including the various processing programs
each of them might have would be a monumental task so I refuse to do it.

The scoring method is pathologist specific (some do not score the tests you
listed at all) so the responsibility for that lies with the docs.

I do the CAP immunohistochemistry survey to satisfy part of the last
requirement but "evaluating interobserver variability among the
pathologists" is not something I do either. I know we should all be able to
do something like this in between all of our many naps & other free time
activities but I just can't seem to get this vital piece of CAP legislation
satisfied.

There are some CAP questions, like this one, that just leave me scratching
my head and wondering who the he#* is sitting around thinking this sh%@ up.
I will personally try to show that I'm making an effort to satisfy some of
this one and if that is not enough, I guess it'll just be a CAP ding marked
up against my lab. In today's lab, one must choose their battles wisely and
this battle doesn't seem to be worth the headache.

Just My Opinion,

Glen Dawson BS, HT & QIHC (ASCP)
IHC Manager
Milwaukee, WI