[Histonet] Fixation using Modified Bouins and NBF

John A. Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Fri Oct 7 12:02:38 CDT 2005

The modified Bouin that you describe is an illogical
mixture. The purpose of Bouin's fixative is to obtain the
advantages of acetic acid (good nuclear morphology) and
picric acid (rapid coagulation of cytoplasm and strong
staining by anionic dyes) in addition to protein
cross-linking bt formaldehyde.

Your modification uses neutral buffered formaldehyde, which
will oppose the required acidity. The correct recipe for
Bouin's fixative is:
Saturated aqueous picric acid 750 ml
Formalin (37-40% HCHO) 250 ml
Acetic acid (glacial) 50 ml
Fix usually for 24 hours, then transfer to 70% alcohol.
If the tissue is still yellow in the paraffin block, put the
hydrated sections in something weakly alkaline to remove
residual picric acid, then was well with water before
staining. Retained picric acid interferes with some stains,
including those used for blood cells.

If red blood cells are of interest, don't use Bouin's fluid
for fixation because it damages them; use neutral, buffered
formaldehyde instead.
--
John A. Kiernan