[Histonet] NBF or paraformaldehyde

Morken, Tim - Labvision tpmorken <@t> labvision.com
Wed Nov 30 10:53:53 CST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Pixley,
Sarah (pixleysk)
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 8:39 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] NBF or paraformaldehyde

Dear Histonet:
I should probably know this, but I don't, so I am asking. What is the
difference between using neutral buffered formalin and paraformaldehyde?
Does one give better morphology or better recovery of antigens for
immunostaining? I am a researcher, not a histotech, and I have always used
para. However, with all this talk of NBF, I am wondering why. I believe that
I have been told at one time or another that the crosslinking is better with
para, but since I am always doing immunostaining, I don't want strong
crosslinking.

I apologize if this is a totally "you should know" question. If there are
websites describing this, I would appreciate getting them, because that will
save me some time looking them up. Thanks, this is a great listserve!

Sarah Pixley
Univ. of Cincinnati