[Histonet] Re: Help! NBF fixed tissue and subsequent first step

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org
Mon Nov 28 12:15:31 CST 2005

Lorraine,

I would also find out if the length of fixation has changed. Rodent
tissue (mouse in particular) tends to be very suseptible to length of
fixation time. Extended washing can reverse some of the cross links.
Extended fixation can make your tissues overly brittle.

We have no problem routinely going from fixative to 70% alcohol,
although many of our researchers do a quick PBS wash before placing it
into 70% alcohol, again with no detrimental effects.

The only problem we have had is trying to process zinc formalin fixed
pancreas.  It seems no matter the processing schedule, we cannot keep
the tissue from cracking and looking awful. Perhaps a lower percentage
of alcohol might help this.

Teri Johnson
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research