[Histonet] best perfusion solution for spinal cord

Caroline Bass cbass <@t> bidmc.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 23 11:02:14 CST 2005

Hello,

I was hoping you guys could help me with something.  I have a friend
who is using rat spinal cord injury models.  He needs a good method
for fixing the spinal cord to examine both morphology of the spinal
cord tissue and various proteins by IHC.  What is the best method of
fixation for this?  I assume that what is best for the brain is
usually best for the spinal cord.  I recently read that some use a
sucrose solution in their perfusion protocol.  I have always just
dropped the brain into 25% sucrose overnight to cryoprotect.  I never
considered using it in the perfusion.

Any help would be appreciated.  I am particularly interested in which
formulations of fixatives are best and why.  For example, could NBF
be used?  I mostly see paraformaldehyde in use, usually 2 or 4%.
What are the advantages of this over NBF?

Thanks,

Caroline Bass