[Histonet] fixed jaw clamps/ large size specimens

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 11:31:15 CST 2005

David:
  In 1988 we began cutting whole prostate slices and we could not find neither megacassettes nor molds, so we made ours.
  For cassettes I used small round plastic containers, cut to an appropriate height with drilled holes and stappled 2 together, with the specimen in between. They work perfectly.
  As molds I cut pieces of wood of the required size and used aluminum sheets bought in a hardware to "wrap" around the wood piece and made them "melted paraffin leak proff". They also worked beautifully and, even when at last we bought the available cassettes and molds, for really large specimens (up to 3" x 4" ) we still use them.
  For those large paraffin blocks I used the very very old technique of adhering them to small 1"x1"x 2" blocks of wood, using a hot spatula, to be clamped to the microtome.
  Hope this "barrage" of "oldies" will help!
  Rene J.

"Kinsley, David" <david.kinsley <@t> spcorp.com> wrote:
  I'm looking to section some larger size specimens, particularly rat hind paw
samples and am looking for cassettes that are slightly larger than the mega
cassette but not as large as the super mega cassette. (Approximately 2"
long by 1.5" wide by 1/2 to 3/4" deep) I have called some vendors and have
had little luck.

The only suggestion was to purchase a fixed jaw clamp for my microtome
(Microm HM355) and try to use that with the super mega cassette.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of specimens? Any
suggestions on cassettes or microtome adapters?

thanks

David Kinsley
Schering-Plough Research Institute
Kenilworth, NJ 07033
908-740-4669

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- Please immediately and permanently delete.