[Histonet] RE: QIHC change

Morken, Tim - Labvision tpmorken <@t> labvision.com
Wed Nov 16 11:07:46 CST 2005

Jamie, It seems from what you say that you are working in a research lab. Is
that correct? My understanding about the ASCP certification is that it is
aimed at providing a modicum of proof that a person is qualified to work in
a medical diagnostic lab. Research labs are not  considered diagnostic labs.
As you imply, a person in a research lab will often work on only a limited
sample set. Therefore, it is meaningless to apply the the ASCP standard to
research people.

 If you are planning to move into the diagnostic field, then I'll bet you
could easily find a job in a diagnostic lab, get the experience, and qualify
to take the test. It may be that some diagnostic labs have a suggested
requirement to be ASCP certified as a QIHC, but the vast majority would be
happy to find someone with the experience you outline, even if they had not
previously worked in a diagnositc lab.

Tim Morken
Lab Vision - Neomarkers
www.labvision.com

Free webhosting for US State Histotechnology Societies:
http://www.labvisioncorp.com/demowebsite/index.cfm

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of James Watson
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 7:28 AM
To: novanity <@t> nc.rr.com; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: QIHC change

This is my point.  With the requirements listed below someone with 25 years
of experience doing immuno (single, double, triple antibody staining, making
own antibodies, and in situ Hybridization: all with and without using kits,
all with and without using an automated stainer) is not qualified for this
certification if they work in a research facility where immunophenotyping is
not done. There is no system of doing it on your own to prove that you have
the capability to do immunophenotyping in order to fullfil this requirement.
I guess it is time to start harrassing ASCP about the unfairness of this
system.

>From almost always sunny San Diego
Jamie