[Histonet] Fixing question

Rittman, Barry R Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Tue Nov 15 13:01:11 CST 2005

Using pressure to speed up fixtion has been used by several investigators. The jury is out on this one but the fact that it has been in the literature for quite some time and never gained any real popularity is indicative that it is not very useful. Just my opinion
Can send you some references if you wish.
.
Barry

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Christian Franci
Sent: Tue 11/15/2005 12:25 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Fixing question

dear folks, pardon my ignorance but....

It seems that pressure is applied to the processing of tissues to
ensure evenness and to force out any residual alcohol and/or xylene
that might over-dry one's delicate samples.
I gather that depending on what machine you have you can apply pressure
at each step or just at the final paraffin stage ( as in my case).
Here is my question... would applying pressure during the fixation of
the tissues also be beneficial?
Would it speed up the process therefore minimizing the possibility of
over-fixation?
Do any of you fix tissue under pressure and, if so, how do you go about
it?  Just curious....

Cheers

Chris