[Histonet] bone fish samples embedded in Historesin Plus

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Nov 9 12:06:46 CST 2005

It may be better to do the sectioning of these samples using a tungsten
carbide tipped knife , d profile should work.  A regular steel c profile
knife will not cut through undecalcified bones very well.  It take the
extremely hard TC knife for this purpose.  Since Historesin Plus is GMA -
you may want to enter into some discussion about this plastic and
sectioning with "Patsy Ruegg" <pruegg <@t> ihctech.net> as she has experience
using this kind of knife with undecalcified bone embedded in GMA.

  At 10:28 AM 11/9/2005, you wrote:

>We are using samples without decalcification because we are studing the bone
>fish development.
>
>Historesin is glycol metacrylate based (manufactured by Leica).

Gayle Callis
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology
Montana State University - Bozeman