[Histonet] crumbly femurs

Dana Marshall dmarsha3 <@t> utmem.edu
Wed Nov 9 11:43:13 CST 2005

Thanks to those of you have have made suggestions re: my crumbly femurs.  I
will try to salvage those that i have using these suggestions and be a bit
more proactive in the future.  Since we do have a cryojane we don't need to
do the decal so i'll try to get the experiments planned so that people are
doing that first.  I am happy to hear any experiences with bone so please
continue to write if you have thoughts on crumbly femurs or good ones!
Thanks,
Dana
----- Original Message -----
From: "Trajkovic, Dusko" <dusko.trajkovic <@t> pfizer.com>
To: "Dana Marshall" <dmarsha3 <@t> utmem.edu>;
<Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:35 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] crumbly femurs

I had a similar experience a few months ago, and it was corrected by
minimally cutting into the surface of the bone or in your case, the
entire side of the leg and placing it in 30% sucrose at 4C for at least
24 hours, then transfer the legs to OCT and let sit for 24 hours at 4C,
before re-freezing in OCT. Since I was doing an Oil Red O on the
sections, and morphology was not an issue, I melted the blocks down,
trimmed the bone as I mentioned above and placed it in sucrose overnight
and then in OCT at 4C. After re-freezing in OCT, bones were sectioning
beautifully, and my ORO worked as well.
Thanks
Dusko Trajkovic