[Histonet] Reagent Grade Alcohol

Pamela Marcum pmarcum <@t> vet.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 8 09:26:39 CST 2005

At 09:59 AM 11/8/2005, Rene J Buesa wrote:
>I always used 100% (= "200 grade") ,bought in bulk tax exempted, ethanol.
>Anything you need to do with "pure" ethanol will be simpler to calculate
>(solutions, mixtures, etc.) with 100% ethanol. Besides that, the
>"denatured" ethanol contains substances other than ethanol.
>Now, "reagent grade" sold by chemical companies with "impurities
>certificates", are much more expensive and offer no advantage over the
>type of "200 grade" ethanol I used to use.
>Rene J.
>
>"LeVier, Rebecca J" <RJLevier <@t> LancasterGeneral.org> wrote:
>Hello Histonetters,
>
>I was just wondering what everyone was using for alcohol. Does anyone
>see any differences in Reagent Grade Alcohol compared to LCB regulated
>alcohol? ...... Any information on this topic would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>

>Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any
>attachments, is for the sole use of intended recipient(s) and may
>contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
>review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
>the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
>destroy all copies of the original message.

Sorry those comments are misleading.  The 200 proof and 190 proof alcohols
are taxed at $13.50 per proof (100 proof = 1 proof taxable)  so a gallon of
200 proof ethanol is given a tax of $27.00 before you even get the price of
the actual product.  Only tax exempt or non-profit organizations can afford
to use these routinely as we do not pay this tax.

Reagent alcohols can be purchased that work very well however, you must
read the MSDS as the original formula of 90% ethanol, 5% methanol and 5%
isopropanol is now being sold with varying percentages of isopropanol and
methanol.  These formula changes are legal so check the MSDS and if it is
not a stable formula do not use it as it can cause many issues in your lab.

Example: 90% EtOH with 1 to 5% isopropanol and 1 to 5% methanol.  You would
not know from lot to lot how much of the last two you have in the solution
and it can effect your staining and processing when these are varied.  If
you go to the internet and type in Reagent Alcohol you will be able to see
a number of MSDS sheets for various companies and gauge which have stable
formulas and which do not.  ALWAYS LOOK AT THE MSDS FOR ANY PRODUCT YOU
PURCHASE TO ASSURE YOU ARE ALWAYS GETTING THE SAME PRODUCT FORMULA.

Best Regards,

Pamela A Marcum
Manager, Histology Special Procedures
University of Pennsylvania