[Histonet] Histotechnician productivity

Barbara Bublava barbara.bublava <@t> meduniwien.ac.at
Thu Nov 3 08:57:08 CST 2005

I would be very interested in this article, but I don´t have acsess to this
paper.
Could someone send it to me please?

Babara Bublava

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rene J Buesa" <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
To: "Jasper, Thomas G." <TJasper <@t> smdc.org>;
<John.Sheppard <@t> Health-Partners.org>
Cc: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 1:06 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Histotechnician productivity

> John:
> The is a paper dealing with this specific topic published in the
December,2004 issue of the Journal of Histotechnology.
> This paper present tha AVERAGE productivity for each task in histology;
its only drawback is that it does not include the RANGE productivity for
each.
> [...]
> want to develop technically, i.e. Immunohistochemistry, In Situ
> Hybridization? Are you looking at automating some of your current
> processes, i.e. special stains and coverslipping?
> Holy buckets! That's a lot of questions right out of the gate! But, you
> need to answer questions like these to make an accurate assessment and
good
> decisions. One thing I'm willing to bet is that your organization is
> looking to save money. That's very understandable in this day and age,
> however you've got to be real careful in doing it. Evaluate your service
> very carefully as this will reveal true costs and true savings. This may
> not apply to you, but for instance, take estrogen and progesterone
> receptors. I'm guessing that you probably send those tests out somewhere.
> How much does that cost? Do you have the talent in-house to take it on
> yourself? If you do and your volumes warrant it, you may save money. Money
> that's easily demonstrated up front and savings in other ways such as
faster
> turnaround times. This in turn increases the overall value of your service
> and makes the techs more valuable as well. Again, this may not apply to
you
> I just created a scenario to make a point.
> This leads me to your last statement which is concerning, and that's the
> comment about losing a position or two. I firmly believe that people are
> the greatest asset of an organization. You need to hold on to positions
> with tenacity. Everyone wants to do more with less, and that's great. I
> like the modification of doing more with what you've got, especially if
> you've got good people. Even if the people aren't that good you can try to
> get others as long as you still have positions to fill. Good histotechs
are
> hard to find, enough said there.
> Geez, I really haven't given you any hard numbers and I guess I'm loathe
> do so considering all the unknowns and variables. I can tell you this,
years
> ago when I worked in a contract lab (non-clinical, sweatshop) we were
> expected to cut 200 blocks in 8 hours with no more than 15 recuts. I did
> learn to cut pretty fast there but I wouldn't recommend it. I track hours
> and production here very closely but comparisons are not going to be
apples
> to apples. I value quality over quantity and I expect that people will do
> their best day in and day out. Techs are people and some are stronger in
> different areas than others. We average 200-250 blocks per day, with 2
> techs embedding and 3-4 techs cutting. We try to finish cutting in about 5
> to 5.5 hours. Again, this is fraught with variables. To me, if someone
> here is cutting 25 to 30 blocks an hour I think that's pretty good. Please
> excuse my rambling, but this is a tough nut to crack as the world is

Pap
> staining(gyn & non-gyn), manual coverslipping, manual special stains, and
> frozen sections. I am just not sure how accurate those numbers are for
> staffing a histology lab.
> This information is needed because we will be consolidating two
> separate small community hospital histology labs onto one campus.
> Apparently this will be used to justify the current staff of both
> locations. Unfortunately, I believe this information will ultimately be
> used to eliminate a position or two.
> Thank you for your time
> John Sheppard HT(ASCP)
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, is for
the
> sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
> privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> message.

> This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and
privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure,
dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited.
As required by federal and state laws, you need to hold this information as
privileged and confidential. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender and destroy all copies of this communication
and any attachments.