[Histonet] Antibodies for FACS and IHC

Sharon Cooperman scoop <@t> mail.nih.gov
Thu May 26 09:58:32 CDT 2005

You can use antibodies that are routinely used for FACS for IHC and
visa versa.  Most FACS usable antibodies I have tried that work with
formalin fixed cells on FACS (eg. you fix the cells first) will work
at least on frozen sections, sometimes on FFPE sections.  Sometimes
antibodies that work on one method have too much background or not
enough signal on the other method.  You don't need to have a
fluorescence tagged primary for FACS and sometimes it helps to
increase your signal by using a secondary antibody.  Sometimes a
fluorescent primary is enough signal for immunofluorescence and
sometimes not, but you can always use a fluorescent secondary (tagged
with the same fluor) with a tagged primary.  But, I don't have any
hard and fast rules (other more experienced people may) I just try it
and work it out for each antibody as the need arises.

Sharon