[Histonet] problem with MMA

Myri37 <@t> aol.com Myri37 <@t> aol.com
Wed May 25 13:08:07 CDT 2005

Hello histonetters,
I am using MMA/ BMA to embed titanium samples on wich we grew cells . The
polymerisation step is done at -20°C. Thick sections are made with diamond
thread saw and grinded until they reach 50-80 um. Sections are stained with RBS
Rapid bone stain) on a hot plate at 56°C.
Unfortunately i see on the resulting slides a separation between  titanium
and cells.
can anyone help me understanding what happens and how avoid this separation
between titanium and cells.
Can it be due to the retraction of BMA/MMA during polymerization ?
Do you think the temperature (-20°C) during polymerization has an effect  ?
In some cases we covered thentitanium with a hydroxyapatite layer before
growing cells, but obtained the same results in the end.
thanks in advance.
best regards.
Myriam baali
Natural Implant