[Histonet] freezing of specimens in surgery center

Mitchell Jean A. ja.mitchell <@t> hosp.wisc.edu
Wed May 25 09:34:24 CDT 2005

"Storage: Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep container closed when
not in use. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from
incompatible substances. Refrigeration has been recommended."

The above is directly from a well known company's current MSDS on
storage of isopentane.  And I know sorting through MSDS's attempting to
get a straight answer on on chemical health issues, shelf life, storage
can be extremely frustrating.

It may be an ignorant question to ask but; Is it not possibly safer to
store isopentane (2-Methylbutane) at room temperature vs refrigeration?

Jean Mitchell, BS, HT (ASCP)
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
Neuromuscular Laboratory
Madison, WI