[Histonet] Productivity Issues

Rogerson Kemlo (ELHT) Pathology Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Mon May 23 08:27:39 CDT 2005

Is that per person? 80 blocks per hour embedded, 40 cut, per person?

If so that seems a bit high; but then Australian and American
Cytologists can screen over 100 cervical smears per day. Maybe us Brits
are whimps?

-----Original Message-----
From: Julie.Sanders <@t> med.va.gov [mailto:Julie.Sanders <@t> med.va.gov]
Sent: 23 May 2005 12:42
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Productivity Issues

Greetings Histonetters,

I have a question about what are reasonable expectations for
productivity.
For example, if the majority of work done are biopsies, prostate needle
bxs,
livers, bone marrows and kidney biopsies is embedding 80 blocks an hour
and
cutting 40 per hour reasonable?  Keep in mind that the bone marrows,
livers,
and kidneys require special stains/immunos and prostate bxs require 4
slides
each.

I read the article in NSH Journal about productivity and tried (and
failed)
to figure out what would be reasonable expectations from my techs for
embedding and cutting.  I wanted to include all the tasks required:
labeling
slides, facing blocks, cutting biopsies and cutting routine.  I tried by
adding all the numbers in the article (The Journal of
Histotechnology,Vol.
27, No.4/ Dec. 2004) but obviously I'm not mathematically inclined.
Any ideas/suggestions/answers would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Julie

Julie Sanders, BA,HT(ASCP)
Supervisor, Anatomic Pathology