[Histonet] Hair Bulbs

Rittman, Barry R Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Sat May 21 18:21:03 CDT 2005

Joe
I assume that you are askig about embedding?
Can't you treat the hair bulbs as whole specimens, attach them to a slide (agar perhaps) and then stain the entire hair bulb for fungus?
Try this first and then shoot the pathologist.
Barry

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Joe Nocito
Sent: Sat 5/21/2005 12:02 PM
To: histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Hair Bulbs

Howdy Histoland,
    I swear one day I'm gonna shoot me a pathologist. We are diving into the realm of hair pulls by dermatologists to look for fungus. Any ideas on how to handle these itsy bitsy specimens? Embedding tips? We were successful on the first specimen, but haven't even come close since then. I'm pulling my hair out.
    We are supposed to be a nice little lab that does routine histology. Don't the "reference" part fool ya. Ummmmmm, maybe some one should have told this pathologist that.
    As always, thanks in advance for your help and the routine disclaimer
    "The opinions of the author do not reflect the opinions of his employers, their lawyers, family members, distant cousins, yada yada yada.

Joe Nocito BS, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Histology Manager
Pathology Reference Lab
San Antonio, TX