[Histonet] Envrion LpH treatment of prion diseased tissues

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri May 20 12:27:41 CDT 2005

Environ LpH (EPA reg No. 1043-118) via key word search into Steris website
gave directions for use, sites handling deer, elk, beef and sheep tissues
with  following transmissable spongioform encephalopathies  (TSEs). Chronic
wasting disease (CWD) scrapie, bovine spongiform encephalopathy
(BSE).  Nothing was said about treating human tissues with CJD or CJD variant.

However the following publication was worth reading on this new product as
compared to sodium hydroxide or bleach treatments.

Race RE, Raymond GJ. Inactivation of transmissible spongiform
encephalopathy (Prion) agens by Environ LpH J Virology 78(4):2164-2165,
2004.  Although the testing in this publication was done using hamster
prion model, this agent is being used by hospitals, and other institutions
for prion disease.  Environ LpH was recommended but not other LpH products.

It will be interesting to see if this product becomes the recommended means
for dealing with prion diseases.

Cynthia's advice is well taken AND I would be inclined to treat the
fixative the tissue was in also.

At 10:43 AM 5/20/2005, you wrote:
>Sally,
>
>If the formic acid was done according to protocol for prion deactivation
>then theoretically you should have no problem with using an automated
>stainer. There are probably a few things to keep in mind. How was the
>specimen cut? Were precautions taken at that time? In the current animal
>models the infectious agent needs to be ingested or inoculated IC to cause
>disease. The prion is bound to the tissue which is bound to the slide so my
>feeling is that things are pretty stable at this point. Alternatively you
>could stain by hand using disposable containers, segregate your waste and
>treat with Environ LpH which inactivated prions. If you do put it on an
>automated stainer you should collect your waste and treat to deactivate

>Cynthia Favara
>NIAID/NIH/RML/LPVD
>903 South 4th Street
>Hamilton, MT 59840
>406-363-9317
>
>Disclaimer:
>The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is confidential
>and may contain sensitive information. It should not be used by anyone who
>is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in
>error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other
>storage devices. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases shall
>not accept liability for any statements made that are sender's own and not
>expressly made on behalf of the NIAID by one of its representatives

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology