[Histonet] Double fluorescent stains for apoptosis

Chan Wai Kam doscwk <@t> nus.edu.sg
Wed May 18 20:50:29 CDT 2005

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your understanding.  Frankly I did feel chastened and thought =
I'd better go and do my homework more thoroughly.  It's true that I had =
hoped that some kind souls in histoland could offer me their advice on =
the correct protocols or kits to use as the kits are so costly and I'm =
wandering into unfamiliar territory. =20

I'm not a clinical but lab staff in research and my work has been mostly =
on routine histology of decalcified tissues.  I've no prior experience =
in apoptosis and so find it a bit confusing with all the protocols I've =
found on the web.  The PI whose project I'm assisting isn't of much help =
either as he was on a short attachment with our dept, finished the =
experimental surgery part and left the bulk of the work for the lab =
staff to complete.  He's happily in some other country and would drop an =
email every so often expecting results.  So frankly I'm unsupervised and =
trying to do the job as best as I can. =20

The Roche kit I used (In Situ Cell Death Detection Kit, TMR red for =
fluorescent microscopy analysis) comes with a protocol but the results =
do not seem accurate as there were too many cells stained positive.  I =
also realized too late that I should be going for something that shows =
up the unaffected cells as well since we need to get a percentage.  So =
back to the web I went to do more searches but still not any wiser.  And =
that's when I thought about all those experts out there in histoland who =
could perhaps point me in the right direction. =20

Thanks again,
Wai Kam

 =20