[Histonet] Bringing pH up

John A. Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Wed May 18 09:56:18 CDT 2005

Sodium carbonate is an alkali. (The Merck index
gives 11.6 as the pH of an aqueous solution of
unspecified strength.) A 1.0M solution of ammonia
has pH 11.6; this is equivalent to concentrated
ammonium hydroxide diluted to about 16
volumes with water. The pH will be more stable
with sodium carbonate because it isn't losing
ammonia (gas) or absorbing carbon dioxide from
the air.

Neither compound constitutes a buffer. Buffers
based on carbonate-bicarbonate combinations are
effective in the range pH 9.2-11.0, and
ammonia/ammonium chloride mixtures are for
pH 8.3-10.8

A simple buffer that's effective in the range
of pH 11-12 is the Na2HPO4-NaOH system. For
pH 11.6 take 50 ml 0.05M Na2HPO4 and add
13.5 ml of 0.1M NaOH (Perrin & Dempsey 1974
Buffers for pH and Metal Ion Control. London:
Chapman & Hall Science Paperbacks, p.151)

An alkaline solution of toluidine blue does not
need to be buffered. Above pH 9 it will stain
everything. The higher pH may help the dye
penetrate into epoxy-embedded semi-thin sections.
Penetration can also be enhanced by exposing
the section (before staining) to sodium ethoxide,
which is made by dissolving NaOH pellets in
100% ethanol. This "etches" (partly depolymerizes)
the resin.
--
John A. Kiernan