[Histonet] Bringing pH up

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org
Wed May 18 08:56:44 CDT 2005

I've been handed a request to make 1% toluidine blue "buffered to pH
11.6 with sodium carbonate."  I always thought sodium carbonate was a
neutral pH.  Is it possible to bring the pH of this dye solution up with
sodium carbonate, and if so, what %, N, or M solution would you
recommend using to do this?

Interestingly in this procedure, a "1% ammonia" solution is used as a
rinse.  I tend to think the dye solution is buffered with sodium
carbonate and the pH is brought up to 11.6 with ammonium hydroxide,
although I have no reference other than the quoted text for
clarification.  Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Teri Johnson
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
1000 E. 50th St.