[Histonet] RE: formalin

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Mon May 16 08:36:15 CDT 2005

"Formaldehyde, as 4% buffered formaldehyde (10% buffered formalin), is the
most widely employed universal fixative particularly for routine paraffin
embedded sections. It is a gas with a very pungent odour, soluble in water
to a maximum extent of 40% by weight and is sold as such under the name of
formaldehyde (40%) or formalin (a colourless liquid). Formaldehyde is also
obtainable in a stable solid form composed of high molecular weight polymers
known as paraformaldehyde. Heated paraformaldehyde generates pure gaseous
formaldehyde which, when dissolved in water, reverts mostly to the monomeric
form. Aqueous formaldehyde exists principally in the form of its
monohydrate, methylene glycol, CH2(OH)2, and as low molecular weight
polymeric hydrates or polyoxymethylene glycols. It has been suggested that
the hydrated form, methylene glycol, is the reactive component of
formaldehyde but this has been disputed2"

Fixation and fixatives
Anthony S-Y Leong

So as it is a gas it must be held in solution by atmospheric pressure? If
that atmospheric is raised or lowered then lesser or greater amount of gas
can be held in solution; the same with increasing or decreasing
temperatures. So is formalin 40% formaldehyde gas up Everest or is it much
less? Atmospheric pressure is reduced so the Saturated Vapour Pressure of
the solution may exceed barometric pressure and the gas is driven off until
the pressures equilibrate; plus it is very cold. Do you have to make a
stronger dilution up Everest to end up with a 4% buffered formaldehyde? Are
there any Histo Labs up there? Who cares?

Kemlo Rogerson
Cellular Pathology Manager
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust
DD. 01254-294162