[Histonet] Journal of histotechnology paper search

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Thu May 12 11:56:46 CDT 2005

A search with www.Scopus.com brought up:

-----
Journal of Histotechnology
Volume 19, Issue 2, June 1996, Pages 131-132

Rapid staining method for Helicobacter pylori in gastric
biopsies

Leung, J.K.ab, Gibbon, K.J.a., Vartanian, R.K.a

a Anatomic Pathology, Vancouver Hosp. and Hlth. Sci. Ctr.,
Vancouver, BC, Canada
b Vancouver Hosp. and Hlth. Sci. Ctr., Anatomic Pathology,
855 W. 12th Street, Vancouver, BC V5Z 1M9, Canada

Abstract

Helicobucter pytori is a gram negative bacterium that has
been shown to be the causative organism in some gastric and
duodenal ulcers. It is the most common cause of antral
gastritis and has been linked to the development of distal
gastric carcinoma and low grade gastric lymphoma.
Identification in a gastric biopsy and prompt treatment with
antibiotics, can lead to a speedy recovery for the patient.
Unfortunately this organism stains poorly with standard
hematoxylin and eosin techniques and special staining
methods can be lengthy. The usual demonstration methods are
Steiner and Romanowski type stains. Toluidine blue has been
used as a rapid method for the demonstration of these
organisms, but the contrast is generally very poor. We have
developed a counterstain for toluidine blue that shows deep
blue organisms on a yellow background. The combined
procedure takes about 30 min.

Author Keywords

alcian yellow; gastric biopsy; Helicobacter pylori;
toluidine blue

Matched Index Keywords:

helicobacter pylori
See the Extended format page for all index keywords in this
document
------

I couldn't find the full text on line. Anyone who has been a
member of the NSH since June 1996 should have the journal.

Scopus is an excellent literature searching service, even
better
than Web of Science, but your library has to subscribe to
it.
Your library at Queen Mary College subscribes to Web of
Science
(which, unlike Medline, covers all journals). They may well
be
testing Scopus, as our library is. It's very new.
--
John A. Kiernan